Wednesday, June 26, 2019 — Did you know that 25% of youth in low-income families participate in recreation and sport, compared to 75% of their higher-income peers?
Thanks to many generous golfers who came out and donated to the OCH Foundation for Healthy Communities on Tuesday June 25th, more of those children will get the chance to participate in community programs.
This year marks the seventh Annual Charity Golf Tournament held in support of the foundation. For the first time ever, registration was sold out, and 144 golfers took to the course in Aylmer – allowing us to meet our goal of $65,000.
“Events like this show it really does take a community, thank you to participants and sponsors who came out in support of the foundation.”
– Howard Whittaker, Executive Director, OCH Foundation for Healthy Communities
“It is a tremendous honor to receive such generous support from our community. These funds will help connect OCH children and youth to quality recreation and sports programs that helps build strong families and healthier communities.
– Stéphane Giguère, CEO for OCHC
- Since 2016 recLINK has helped to connect more than 1,300 children and youth in Ottawa Community Housing communities to recreation and sports opportunities at no cost to their families. This represents over 100,000 hours of recreation programming and 5811 days of Camp
- In 2018, recLINK connected 389 children and youth to recreation and sport programming by offsetting over $164,663 in registration fees through subsidizes and in-kind or free spaces offered by community partners.
- The most common barriers to participation reported by OCH Families are financial, language, lack of knowledge of existing opportunities, transportation and difficulty navigating registration and subsidy processes.
About OCH Foundation for Healthy Communities
Committed to helping tenants living in social housing, the OCH Foundation helps families, youth and children achieve personal success through supporting education, employment and community engagement projects. The Foundation has raised over 1 million dollars in 2017, which were redistributed through various programs and bursaries.
ochfoundation.ca | Twitter | LinkedIN | Facebook
recLINK connects children and youth living in OCH neighbourhoods to positive, pro-social, recreation and sport programs. recLINK staff serve OCH families by helping them to address and overcome the barriers they face when trying to access recreation services.
Ottawa Community Housing Corporation maintains nearly 15,000 homes to approximately 32,000 tenants, including seniors, parents, children, couples, singles and persons with special needs, within many communities across the City of Ottawa. OCHC houses a diverse population of varying languages, ethnicity and cultures. OCHC is the largest social and affordable housing provider in Ottawa, managing two-thirds of the City’s social housing portfolio, and is the second largest in Ontario. OCHC was selected as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers for the second consecutive year in 2019. www.och-lco.ca | Twitter | LinkedIN | Facebook
For additional information please contact:
Christa Allevato – Manager of Operations and Donor Relations – OCHF –
Tel: 613-518-2098 email: email@example.com