How do I register for Pack-a-Sack?
We work with The Caring and Sharing Exchange team to register children and youth.
You can register by:
- Calling 211. They will provide you with your local resource centre or partner agency contact information.
- Reach out to your local Community House or Resource Centre directly.
To learn about of the registered partner agencies. Visit The Caring and Sharing Exchange – The Caring and Sharing Exchange.
Each September, thousands of children in Ottawa return to school without backpacks and proper school supplies. The OCH Foundation’s Pack-a-Sack program purchases supplies and backpacks for children living in Ottawa Community Housing so they can return to school equipped and ready to learn.
Did you know:
- In 2021, more than 750 requests were made for support from individuals living in Ottawa Community Housing.
- It costs between $40 – $60 to equip children and older youth with the back-to-school supplies they need for proper learning (backpack, markers, pencils, erasers, ruler, scissors, etc.).
- The median income of families living in OCH is approximately $17,000 per year meaning that many families struggle to cover the cost of back-to-school supplies for their children.
Since 2014, the Ottawa Community Housing Foundation’s Pack-a-Sack program has supported thousands of children, youth and their families living in OCH neighborhoods. We partner with the Caring and Sharing Exchange, a local organization that performs a coordination and distribution service to ensure the even dissemination of school essentials to families in need. This year we were able to purchase over $20,000 worth of school supplies to be distributed to families living in OCH.
If you would like to organize a Pack-a-Sack fundraiser on behalf of the Foundation, please reach out to us at email@example.com or donate directly through our Canada Helps portal.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.